Philippine Genre Stories (PGS), a small and independent publisher in Manila, sent out its first call for submissions to the digest on August 30 2006. Opening then its publication for aspiring and practicing writers to explore the genres of Fantasy, Science fiction, Speculative, Crime, Mystery, Detective, Horror, and Suspense. PGS has published many contributors who have become accomplished creators through the years. Recently it has been publishing stories from students under the editorial guidance of the anthologized and acclaimed writer, fellow, lawyer, and teacher Christine V. Lao.
In 2023, PGS will be digitally publishing once more via Philippinegenrestories.com at least one previously unpublished story in English every month that experiments with the genres. With Mia Tijam—one of its published writers who herself has risen to acclaim, author of the anthology “Flowers for Thursday”, and one of the acknowledged editors who have advanced Philippine speculative fiction and its writers— serving as its guest-editor. Please email your submissions to philippinegenrestories(at)gmail(dot)com:
- Use subject line: Last name_First key words of the work.
- In the email body, you may tell us a little bit of yourself, contact details, and your submitted work.
- Submit story as DOCx attachment with file name format: Last name_First key words of the work
- Follow the story format of minimum 2,000 to maximum 6,000 words; font type Times New Roman/Arial/Calibri; font size 11 or 12; double-spaced; 1” margin all sides.
- Include your maximum 100-word author’s bio (and optional photo) in italics at the bottom of the last page of your story.
- Deadline for submissions is on December 31, 2022.
Each story considered for publication may receive developmental edits. Authors of chosen stories for publication will be contacted via email. Published stories will be compensated with a most humble fee. All, especially students and unpublished writers from the provinces, are welcome to submit.
We are excited to receive and share your stories!